From D. A. Carson:
Those who write NT theology should ideally:—D. A. Carson, "New Testament Theology," in Dictionary of the Later New Testament & Its Developments, 810. (pdf)
- Become intimately acquainted with the text of the NT
- Develop a profound grasp of the historical frameworks in which the NT books were written
- Maintain and sharpen the horizon provided by the entire canon
- Foster literary skills that permit varied genres to speak for themselves
- Spot literary devices and correctly interpret them
- Learn to fire imagination and creativity in a disciplined way
- Acknowledge and seek to accommodate and correct cultural and theological bias
- Maintain all of these elements in appropriate balance, nurtured by
- A love for God
- A fear of God, and
- A growing hunger to serve his people.
Oh, is that all?